The History of Riccall School
The first Parish School was established by subscription in 1791. The premises consisted of a house, garden and schoolroom. The schoolmaster received payment from the interest from money left by various benefactors from 1720 onwards. The master also had the benefit of the income from cattle grazing in local marshes. The headmaster in 1840 was Mr. James Ruff, and he had the benefit of a school built about 1832 by Paul Beilby Thompson of Escrick. This building later became the Church Hall. In 1892 the Headmaster was Mr. William Hepworth, and he had in his school 185 children of whom 18 were free scholars. Mr Hepworth had 10 children himself, 5 girls and 5 boys and he lived in what is now the Old School House.
The present school was opened on the 2nd February 1931. Mr J W Gibson was headmaster. There were 154 children on roll, made up of Riccall and Kelfield children, together with children over 13 years from Escrick.
The school has been extended three times – once in 1970, 1989 and again in 1995. In the mid 1990’s there were nearly 250 pupils at the school. Charlotte
Please click the link below to read an interesting letter from a former pupil